And upset stomach is symptomatic of many conditions affecting the body. Generally, though, an upset stomach is a term that is used to describe any disorder that affects the digestion of food. Some stomach ailments are temporary and others occur as ongoing disorders. Depending on what causes the upset stomach it may be cured quite easily through holistic approaches. Natural, home remedies vary depending on age and also whether a woman is pregnant or nursing. Before treating your stomach issues with natural remedies, try to identify what is causing the upset stomach. If you have issues identifying this on your own, seek the advice and guidance of a medical professional.
Natural Remedies for Upset Stomach
- Diet and lifestyle; To combat upset stomach caused by constipation, effect changes to your diet and lifestyle. Include fibre rich foods to your daily food intake to make the stool soft and bulky and easy to pass. Foods that are a great source of fibre include: brussels sprouts, fruits, cabbage and carrot. In addition to these foods, try to limit foods with little or no fibres in them. This would include: ice cream, cheese and processed foods. Drink plenty of water as well as fruit and vegetable juices, as this too is beneficial in treating upset stomach during constipation.
- Laxatives are used for treating severe constipation, while the above remedy mention targets mild constipation. Upset stomach in children with constipation is usually treated with short term dosage of laxatives, prescribed by a doctor. There are several types of laxatives, all of which must be consumed under professional medical advise and supervision, they include: bulk forming laxatives, stool softeners, lubricants, stimulants and osmotics.
- Diet; instead of avoiding the foods that are responsible for the production of flatulence, it is more rational, and certainly advisable, to simply reduce their intake. This is because, those foods that usually cause excessive gas in the intestines, are foods that are rich in valuable nutrients like: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and milk products. Avoiding these food altogether will compromise your nutrition intake. Do note that foods high in fat should be avoided.
- Herbal tea, and especially ginger tea is helpful in relieving upset stomach caused by gas. Alternatively, take a pinch of baking soda in a glass of water, or chew a bit of garlic.
Nausea and heartburn
- The following remedies are great for combating the symptoms associated with both nausea and heartburn: camomile tea, peppermint tea, ginger, apple cider vinegar, almonds, mustard, yogurt and lemon juice.
- These remedies are usually ideal for treating upset stomach related to diarrhea: blackberry and blueberry tea, ginger tea, drinking a high volume water, avoiding caffeine and alcohol, eating cooked brown rice.
Though the above remedies are typically great remedies for treating upset stomachs, do ensure to consult a trained medical doctor for supervision; also, consulting a doctor first will help you to properly identify what is causing your upset stomach, thus allowing your to better treat it naturally.