Candida is a naturally occurring micro-organism that occurs naturally in the mouth, male and female genitals, intestinal tracts and the throat of the human body. Candidiasis is the fungal infection caused by the overproduction of candida. The symptoms of candidiasis are numerous, as it has the potential of being overproduced in more than one region of the body. Common symptoms include headaches, impotence, memory loss and mood irregularities. Bad breath, vaginitis, heartburn, and stomach pains can also result. Candidiasis is usually considered to be benign and is not transmittable through sexual contact. However, it is a common condition in babies, and can be passed to the mother through nursing.
Factors contributing to the overgrowth of candida are: iron deficiencies, diabetes, poor nutrition, a course of long-term antibiotic medication and the use of oral steroids.
Remedies for Candidiasis
candida occurs naturally in healthy human beings, therefore when candidiasis occurs it is only because there has been a shift in the body’s biological balance. Factors contributing to a disruption of the balance are: an unhealthy lifestyle, stress, excessive consumption of food loaded with sugar and refined carbohydrates.
The constant use of antibiotic medication, cortisone and contraceptive medication are also contributors.
To prevent the occurrence of candidiasis, and keep candida under control, incorporate a balanced diet into your lifestyle and exclude certain foods that are loaded with simple sugars and refined carbohydrates, from it. This will create an environment within your body that will not promote the overgrowth of the candida fungus.
A diet aimed at controlling candida and preventing candidiasis would include the following food:
- Rye bread (no yeast or wheat)
- Rice cakes
- Sunflower/ olive oil
- Rice, potato or rye flour
- Corn or soy flour
- All vegetables fresh or frozen–no canned vegetables.
- Dairy and cheese
- Brown rice
- Onions and garlic
- Home made popcorn
- Herbal teas etc.
Foods to avoid include
- Anything with yeast
- Pickled, smoked or processed meat or fish including cold meats, and vacuum packed foods
- White flour or pastry flour
- Gluten flour
- Flake cereals
- Cream of wheat
- White pasta
- All types of vinegar and vinegar products
- Fermented or processed cheese
- All forms of alcohol
- Honey and other natural sweeteners
- Peanuts, peanut butter and pistachio
- All teas and coffee except herbal teas
- All fruit juices etc.
Herbal Remedies for Candidiasis
- Aloe; use fresh aloe juice to boost white blood cells; white blood cells kill yeast cells.
- Cinnamon; use a cinnamon decoction to treat thrush; hold it in the mouth for a few moments then spit it out.
- Garlic; if used liberally in meals, garlic will provide anti fungal properties.
- Lavender; use for skin infections–add to bath water or apply topically.
- Olive leaf; take capsules or tinctures–provides powerful antimicrobial properties.
- Peppermint Oil; anti fungal when used as an infusion. Oil is available in capsules.
- Pau D’ Arco; antibiotic with anti fungal properties used internally to boost immune system.
- Echinacea; used to stimulate macrophages which kill yeast cells.