Remedies for Pimples
Pimples plague many adolescents and adults, causing uneven skin coloration, pigmentation, scars and even lowered self-esteem. Pimples are formed when hairs, sebum and skin cells group together and form a plug. This forms the ideal breeding ground for bacteria, and soon after, the area becomes swollen or inflamed, and as the plug disintegrates it forms an unattractive pimple. There are many different types of pimples, and the most common types are:
- blackheads that appear on the skin’s surface
- whiteheads that remain under the skin’s surface
- pustules that are red at the bottom and contain visible amounts of pus on top
- nodules that are large and painful and that are found deep in the skin, solid to the touch
- cysts that are painful and filled with pus and that are deeply seeded, causing scarring
Any of the listed pimples may appear on the face, neck, shoulder, back or chest. Some factors that are associated with the formation and increase of pimples include:
- hormones: Fluctuation of hormones may occur during adolescence, the menstrual cycle and pregnancy. The increase is responsible for higher incidence of clogged oil glands, which cause pimple outbreaks.
- medication: Some prescription medication and birth control pills can cause pimples to form on the face, neck and back as a side effect.
- cosmetic products: Cosmetic products clog pores and lead to acne breakout. So, it is best to select cosmetics that are hypoallergenic as well as non-greasy beauty products. Also, try to buy cosmetics with water listed as their first ingredient rather than some sort of oil.
- heredity factors: Heredity plays a major part in promoting the development of pimples. If your parents have severe cases of pimples and acne, chances are you will have them too.
Simple Home Remedies for Pimples
The following simple home remedies can be employed to try and tackle pimples.
- Vitamins: Pimples will positively react to niacin, vitamins A and E, when taken as supplements, once daily.
- Lemon: Apply lemon juice to pimples to reduce their size and intensity.
- Garlic: Rubbing raw garlic on problem areas several times daily can help in clearing up of skin. In addition, eat three pods of raw garlic, once daily for a month, and take note of the positive results.
- Orange peel: Pound orange peels and combine them with water to create an effective mixture for pimple treatment. Apply the mixture to the affected areas to experience positive results.
- Fenugreek: Make a paste with fenugreek leaves and apply it to the entire face every night, before retiring to bed. Each morning, wash the paste away with warm water. This remedy is especially effectively for blackheads.
- Coriander juice and turmeric: Mix a teaspoon of coriander juice, combined with a pinch of turmeric powder. After washing the face thoroughly with water, apply the mixture to the face for effective treatment. Mint juice may replace coriander in this remedy.
- Cucumber: Grate cucumber and rub it all over the affected areas on neck, face and over eyes for the treatment of pimples and blackheads. Leave it for up to 20 minutes and then, wash with warm water. Next, splash with cold water to close pores.
- Epsom salts: Hot Epsom salt baths taken twice weekly should ease all cases of acne.
The above mentioned simple home remedies can be used to tackle the bothersome problems posed by pimples.