Dandruff is an irritation, resulting in the flaking and itching of the scalp. Those afflicted with dandruff will experience flaky, small white scales falling into their faces and onto their shoulders and eyebrows. Dandruff can stem from multiple sources, the most common being the over growth of the naturally occurring malassezia furfur fungus. Other contributors include
- Yeast infections
- The use of soaps and shampoos with high alkaline content
- Zinc deficiency and
Dandruff can be treated professionally by dermatologists, or with products marketed specifically for dandruff alleviation purposes. However, dandruff can be efficiently treated with natural, home remedies that will also contribute to the long term health of the hair and scalp.
Specific natural ingredients can be combined to procure effective dandruff relief; the following natural remedies can all be made and applied at home with the right ingredients.
Apple Juice Remedy
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fresh apple juice with 2 tablespoons of warm water.
- Apply the mixture liberally, all over hair and leave for 10-15 minutes before rinsing.
- Repeat process 2-3 times a week if dandruff persists.
Beetroot and Vinegar Remedy
- Mix beetroot juice in vinegar and apply to the scalp.
- Leave for approximately 15 minutes before rinsing out.
- A beetroot and ginger juice combination, used on the scalp, is also beneficial for alleviating dandruff.
Olive oil and almond oil
- Mix olive and almond oil together.
- Massage the oil mixture onto the scalp, thoroughly, and leave it on for approximately 5 minutes.
- When a burning sensation is felt, rinse the hair properly, ensuring to remove all the oil and hair should be dandruff free.
- Beat 2 eggs and add 2 tablespoons of water to it.
- Wet hair with water. Apply the egg mixture liberally, all over hair, then massage it into the scalp and let it remain for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse the hair with lukewarm water to achieve dandruff free hair.
- This remedy is also useful for those with shedding hair.
Fenugreek Seed Remedy
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- In the morning, grind and soften the seeds, then apply the resulting paste to the scalp.
- Leave the paste on the scalp for approximately half an hour (30 minutes).
- After about 30 minutes, wash out hair with ritha solution or shikakai.
Coconut oil and Black Pepper Remedy
- Get 300 grams of coconut oil and warm it with 3 grams of black pepper.
- When the oil comes to a boil, turn off the heat and sieve the oil and black pepper mixture with a fine cloth in a bottle.
- Allow it to cool down, then massage it onto the scalp gently with fingertips nightly before going to bed.
Cosmetic Vinegar Remedy
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cosmetic vinegar and with 6 tablespoons of hot water.
- Dab a piece of cotton into the water, and use it to apply the mixture to the scalp in all the infected places.
- Leave the mixture in hair overnight; in the following morning, wash out hair with suitable shampoo.